"Fast foods" - Black bean Soup
"Fast" Foods - Sub Salad
I don't know that I have ever met a person who said they LOVED meal planning and making meals all the time! Let's be honest things slip as priorities change day to day! But two things I do know are that having a few "fast" food meal ideas in your apron pocket and having a meal planning system can make the whole process more bareable! From time to time I'd like to share some of these "fast" foods with you!
We call this one the Sub Salad! There is nothing quicker and more versatile! And the great thing is that your kids can make it for you with a bit of instruction.
1. LETTUCE - Take the base lettuce of your choosing. We use Romaine! Chop it up and layer the bottom of a large platter.
2. MEAT OR MEAT ALTERNATIVE - Find whatever meats or meat alternatives that you have on hand. Salami, pepperoni, and leftover bacon are what we had on hand that day. It could be grilled chicken, leftover steak, chickpeas, black beans or whatever else your refrigerator is holding!
3. VEGGIES - Have a some leftover cucumbers or carrots? Thinly slice them and throw them in there! For this salad we used leftover snow peas chopped up and pepperoncini for that sub sandwich type taste. We also commonly throw some black olives in there!
4. CHEESE - Our house happens to be dairy free but there are still some great cheeses. We tend to use VioLife brand. This salad has mozzarella and feta!
5. DRESSING - The classic for us is Italian but drizzle on whatever you'd like!
Feast with your eyes first and take it all in! Then divide it up and dig in!
Needing a fast weekday meal that is healthy!? Try this delicious fritatta. Packed with protein it is an inexpensive meal. For basically the cost of a half dozen eggs and some leftover vegetables, meats, or mushrooms you can have a complete meal in less than 20 minutes.
Give it a try next time you are pinched for time!
Follow the basic recipe here or use what you have on hand!
A few of my kiddos favorite combos are:
Pepperoni and dairy-free mozzarella cheese
Bacon and broccoli
Sauteed mushroom and onions with dairy-free smoked gouda cheese
Hello! I am Kate! Through this blog I hope to share simple health tips and positive support to help you achieve the healthiest YOU that you can be!